News & Events
News & Events
April is Mathematics Awareness Month (MAM); this year’s theme is the “Mathematics of Sustainability.” MAM includes two nationwide initiatives: Sustainability Counts
! provides K–16 math educators and students with a range of model lessons that connect mathematics and sustainability. The showcase lesson is the Energy Challenge. Students will learn about the mathematics of energy use in their school/college and then develop and implement an action plan to reduce energy use. Learn more on the Mathematics of Sustainability website
UMass Lowell selected for UTeach Replication
UMass Lowell was selected from among several universities in Massachusetts to be the exclusive site for replication of a highly successful program for the preparation of STEM teachers. UTeach, which originated at the University of Texas in 1997, has been acclaimed as a model for training teachers in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). UMass Lowell is the only university in New England with a UTeach program.
The program will have three co-directors:
- Anita Greenwood (Education)
- Ken Levasseur (Mathematical Sciences)
- David Kazmer (Engineering)
The program builds upon a bachelor’s degree in science or engineering with a series of unique courses that prepare students for the classroom. Among the features of the program are:
- Early recruitment of students beginning in the freshman year.
- A network of personal, academic, social and professional support to promote retention.
- A mathematics course geared toward Knowledge for Teaching Mathematics.
- Utilization of experienced master and mentor teachers who model best practices.
- Early and on-going guided field experiences with diverse student populations.
- Structured assessments that involve students in an on-going self-assessment of their own professional growth and development.
- A network for continuous professional development of program graduates.
We look forward to the full implementation of the program with hopes that it makes a positive impact on the educational system of the region. For more information, check out the UTeach UMass Lowell website.
Mathematics majors offered "One degree - Two Careers"
Mathematics majors can now earn professional teaching certification along with their B.S. or B.A. degrees with the STEM Teaching Minor offered through UTeach UMass Lowell. They can choose to teach mathematics at either the high school or middle school level. Students completing the minor still have an option to go on to graduate work in mathematics or to work in industry if they decide not to teach.
- 2013 Alumni Reception and Awards Ceremony
- Place: The UMass Lowell Inn and Conference Center
- 50 Warren St, Lowell, MA
- Date/Time: Friday, May 5, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- Please RSVP by April 26. We hope to see you there!
Refer to the Upcoming Events page on the Math Faculty website for more info.