The University of Massachusetts Lowell Radiation safety office is pleased to present our newly revised computer based radiation safety training. This training is designed for the UMass Lowell community who need to enter and conduct work in a radiation laboratory. The training runs through Adobe Shockwave Player and may need to be downloaded. You should be prompted by your computer to download it if your computer is not set up for flash viewing:
Steps to formalize your radiation safety training (Radiation workers):
- Complete the basic radiation safety training, lessons 1-10,
- Complete the radiation safety quiz. You must pass the quiz and print the results to bring with you to the face-to-face training with a member of the safety office.
- Complete any specific training necessary for the lab in which you will be working in and sign the site specific training document.
- Fill out the radiation worker acknowledgement form and worker authorization form. Have your authorized user, generally the lab's PI, sign your authorization form. Print out both forms and bring them to the face-to-face training with a member of the safety office.
- Contact the radiation safety office to set up a face-to face training.
Basic radiation safety training:
||How to use the training modules
||Fundamental concepts part 1
||Fundamental concepts part 2
||Qualifying and quantifying radiation
||Radiation in our everyday world
||The Radiation Safety Office
||Radiation regulations and policies
||Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
||Radiation detection and measurement
||Take the quiz, print out the results, and bring with you to the safety office
If you are having trouble viewing the training modules you might need to get the latest version of free adobe flash player http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.
Site Specific Trainings
X-ray User Training
To certify your site specific training you must complete and sign the site specific training form
||details the hazards of x-ray units
|X-ray safety quiz
Take the quiz, print out the results, and bring with you to the safety office
Accelerator Safety Training
To certify your site specific training you must complete and sign the site specific training form.
||Facility safety overview
Reactor Safety Training
First Responder Radiation Safety Training
To certify your site specific training you must complete and sign the Site specific training form
(return to your supervisor or the Radiation Safety Office).
Required basic radiation safety training records:
Contact the Safety Office