Student Retention System
Faculty can access Starfish with their UMass Lowell email credentials.
Since fall 2012, we have been using an application called Starfish to help the campus improve student retention. Starfish provides faculty with an easy-to-use tool to help identify students at-risk of underachieving. Students are made aware of their at-risk status and informed of services and resources available to help them succeed. The Centers for Learning manages follow-up action with students and coordinates as needed with other campus faculty and staff. The goal is to retain students so they can complete their pursuit of a higher education degree at UMass Lowell.
Fall 2013 surveys will occur for over 200 courses including:
- English: College Writing I & II, CWI-ESL, CWII-ESL , IWL
- Intercollegiate FAHSS: Values and Creative Thinking; First Year Experience Seminar
- Management: First Year Management Seminar
- Math: Calculus I, IA, IB; Management Pre-calculus; Management Pre-Calculus Supplemental Instruction; Management Calculus
- Health: Anatomy & Physiology Lab I; Anatomy & Physiology Lab II
Metrics and information on semester starfish utilization
Assistance Using Starfish
- Coordinator of Retention Services, Centers for Learning (978-934-4548)