The Department of Music at UMass Lowell offers a number of performances each semester. Most are free and open to the public, with free general and handicapped-accessible parking nearby. Fisher and Durgin Concert Halls are both located in Durgin Hall on UMass Lowell's South Campus. Durgin Concert Hall is on the first floor, Fisher Recital Hall is on the lower level. Occasionally it is necessary to change the date or time of a scheduled concert, so if you are traveling a distance, feel free to call the Music Office at 978-934-3850 to confirm the event day and time.
Upcoming Concerts - Spring 2014
- Sun., Feb. 9, Senior Recital, Kari Olson, Flute
, 7:30 p.m., Fisher Recital Hall.
- Fri., Feb. 14, University Orchestra Valentine's Day Concert, 7:30 p.m., Durgin Concert Hall. Mark Latham conducts the orchestra and guest soloists in a program about love and romance, including Tchaikovsky's "Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture," Bizet's "Carmen Suite," romantic arias with bass Mark Andrew Cleveland and poetry by Paul Marion.
- Tues., Feb. 25, A Cappella Barbershop Recital and Workshop, 7:30 p.m., Fisher Recital Hall. Join three a cappella barbershop quartets and a chorus for a recital and workshop on close harmony singing.
- Mon., March 3, Wind Ensemble Concerto Competition Concert, 7:30 p.m., Durgin Concert Hall. This concert, conducted by David Martins, features the UMass Lowell Music Major winner of the annual Concerto Competition. The Program also includes "Of Sailors and Whales (Five Scenes from Melville)," by W. Francis McBeth and "Machine" from Fifth Symphony by William Bolcum.
- Thurs., March 6, Marine Jazz Septet Concert, 7:30 p.m., Durgin Concert Hall. For more information, read more!.
- Sat., March 8, Mothers of Rock Concert, 7:30 p.m. Durgin Concert Hall. Join MEISA in celebrating the 10th Annual Mothers of Rock Concert honoring female musicians of the past and present through performances of songs made popular by female musicians. The concert is free, but donations are encouraged. All proceeds will be split between MEISA and Girls Incorporated of Lowell.
- Thurs., March 27, The Electric Experience: Explorations in electronic music composition and arrangements, by UMass Lowell Music faculty member, Mike Testa, 7:30 p.m., Durgin Concert Hall. Pieces will feature use of keyboards, iPad technology as well as prototypes of new musical instruments for the first half of the concert. The second half of the concert will feature a realization of the entire Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon with integrated interpretative lights and FX using complex computer driven algorithms. Special guest performances and cameos will also accompany Mike Testa.
- Sat., March 29, Gospel Choir Concert, Fisher Recital Hall, 7:30 p.m.
- Tues., April 1, Bleep Blop Electroacoustic New Music Ensemble, 7:30 p.m., Durgin Concert Hall; Ramon Castillo, director.
- Thurs., April 3, Angkor Dance Troupe, 7:30 p.m., Durgin Concert Hall.
- Sun., April 6, Piano Ensemble Concert, Durgin Concert Hall, 6 p.m., Meg Ruby directs.
- Tues., April 8, Studio Jazz Concert, 7:30 p.m., Durgin Concert Hall. Walt Platt directs.
- Tues., April 8, Small Jazz Ensemble Concert, Fisher Recital Hall, 7:30 p.m., Josh Millard directs.
- Thurs., April 10, Small Jazz Ensemble Concert, 7:30 p.m.,
Durgin Concert Hall. Walt Platt directs.
- Sat., April 12, A Cappella Festival, Durgin Concert Hall, 2 p.m. and ongoing throughout the day. The UMass Lowell A Cappella Society presents a full day of a cappella music including performances from other high school and collegiate a cappella groups, workshops and master classes from professionals and so much more. For more information, contact Graham Allen, President of the UMass Lowell A Cappella Society.
- Sun. April 13, Senior Recital, Laura Chongvoranond, Voice,
Fisher Recital Hall.
- Sun. April 13, Hawkapella concert,
, Durgin Concert Hall.
- Mon., April 14
, University Choir and Chamber Singers Concert, 7:30 p.m., Durgin Concert Hall. Brian O'Connell conducts; the choirs present some of the most beautiful choral music in the repertoire.
For a complete listing please view the Concert Calendar (pdf).