The Graduate School of Education makes admission decisions on a rolling basis. For most programs, candidates may be admitted for fall, spring or summer semesters. You can request an application or complete an online submission at the Graduate Admissions site. All required application materials must be received by Graduate Admissions before or on the dates listed below.
- April 1: For DOCTORAL candidates seeking admission for the fall semester and wishing to be considered for a Teaching Assistantship.
- April 15: For M.Ed. and Ed.S. candidates seeking admission for the summer (trimester). (Please note: Candidates cannot begin doctoral programs in the summer.)
- Aug. 1: For all candidates seeking admission for the fall semester.
- Dec. 1: For UMass Lowell Undergraduate Seniors seeking admission to the Secondary Education FAST TRACK TO TEACHING PROGRAM for spring semester admission.
- Jan. 1: For all candidates seeking admission to advanced M.Ed., Ed.S. and Ed.D. programs for the spring semester.
General Admission Requirements for M.Ed., Ed.S. and Doctoral Degrees
- Online application and fee
- Two-page statement in which you describe your educational philosophy and reasons for seeking entry to the degree. For doctoral programs, your statement should be more extensive and include your research interests.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- MTEL test results for initial license programs (see the "Become a Teacher" page)
- Copy of teacher license for entry to M.Ed. and Ed.S. degrees which are not initial license degrees*
- All official transcripts (applicants are expected to have a minimum GPA of 3.0)
- TOEFL scores if appropriate
- GRE scores are required for doctoral programs.
- GRE, MAT or GMAT are required for the M.Ed. Education Administration: Higher Education Option program.
- GRE or MAT are required for the M.Ed. Curriculum and Instruction: TESOL Option program.
- Writing Sample (pdf) (required for Language Arts and Literacy applicants only)
*Teachers and administrators who work in private settings where licensure is not required and who have a minimum of three years teaching experience, must submit a letter from their principal/administrator as proof of working as an administrator or teacher in the school.