Music Performance Major Requirements
Students wishing to pursue the specialization in performance may apply to the Chairperson of the Department and are subject to the following requirements:
Application for Performance Specialization
1. Admission is limited to freshmen, sophomores, juniors or seniors; application is usually made at the end of the first semester;
2. application forms are available in the Department of Music Office and must be submitted to the Department Chairperson no later than December 1 for fall auditions, May 1 for spring auditions, and August 15 for summer auditions; and
3. written recommendations from the applied instructor and the appropriate applied area head must be submitted to the Chairperson of the Department of Music by December 6 for fall and May 6 for spring.
1. A minimum grade of B is required for each ensemble and applied course;
2. a grade point average of 2.000 must be achieved in all music courses;
3. a minimum of nine music credits are required and must include credit for the following courses:
- 72.101,2 Applied Music
- 75.131,2 Intro to Keyboard (non keyboard majors)
- 71.101 Theory 1
- 71.103 Aural Skills 1 Ensemble, one semester; and
4. a successful audition is required, for which repertoire is developed in consultation with the appropriate applied studio faculty.
Retention in Performance Specialization
1. A minimum grade of B is required for each ensemble and performance specialization course;
2. a grade point average of 2.500 must be maintained for all music courses;
3. continued full-time enrollment in the prescribed curriculum is required;
4. a senior recital is required during the same semester in which the applied music sequence is completed;
5. performance in the Department of Music recital hour is required during each semester of residency.
Performance Course Tracks
Instrumental Option (pdf)
Voice Option (pdf)