Requirements for the STEM Teaching Minor
Acceptance into the STEM Teaching Minor
To be accepted into the STEM Teaching Minor, undergraduates must:
- Complete STEP 1:Inquiry Approaches to Teaching and STEP 2: Inquiry-based Lesson Design with a grade of B- or better.
- Maintain an overall GPA of 2.7 or better and be in good academic standing.
- Submit an application to declare the STEM Teaching minor, with approval of the UTeach coordinator and UTeach adviser: Declaration of Minor (pdf).
For all UTeach courses that require student teaching in an elementary, middle school or high school classroom, students must undergo and pass a CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) background checks for each K-12 school district in which they will be working.
STEM Teaching Minor
To earn the STEM Teaching Minor, undergraduates must successfully complete the required 18 credits of UTeach coursework. To prepare for math teacher certification you must also pass the required MTEL examinations and successfully complete the teaching practicum. Math and computer science undergraduates must also successfully complete Functions and Modeling and Geometry in order to prepare for math teacher certification.
For the latest course information please visit the UMass Lowell online Academic Catalog.
Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL)
To prepare for teacher certification, all students are required to pass the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure; this is in addition to earning a bachelor degree in a STEM field along with the STEM Teaching Minor. Students must receive passing scores on each of the following MTELs:
- The Communication & Literacy Skills Tests (for Reading and Writing) AND
- The subject matter knowledge test(s) appropriate to the teaching license(s) sought.
We recommend that UTeach students take these tests at the end of sophomore year or during junior year. All required MTEL tests must be completed and passed prior to enrollment in the teaching practicum.
In order to receive your teaching license you must complete the 6-credit teaching practicum generally during the final semester of senior year. The practicum can be done post-graduation, but to do so it must be discussed and arranged with UTeach faculty. The practicum requires you to be in a local secondary school, full-time for a minimum of 12 teaching weeks.