Commercial Ventures and Intellectual Property


Common Forms

  1. Confidential Disclosure Agreement (CDA)
  2. Material Transfer Agreement (MTA)
  3. Invention and Software Disclosure Forms
  4. Participation Agreement
  5. Sponsored Research Agreement (SRA)

1. Confidential Disclosure Agreements

Confidential disclosure agreements (CDAs), also called non-disclosure agreements (or NDAs), are an essential part of an early exchange of information. The University offers three types -- a bilateral (most common), one way in (where the other party discloses to us but we disclose nothing to them) and one way out (where we disclose to the other party but they disclose nothing to us). It is important to describe the field of information discussed in the CDA.

If you are planning to communicate any confidential information to outside parties, it is required that you send a confidential disclosure agreement to the outside parties. Please contact the CVIP Office as far in advance of your meeting as possible to prepare the CDA forms for you. If an outside party provides their own CDA, please send it to the CVIP Office for our review before signing.

To help expedite the process, we ask that you please fill out the short questionnaire below and submit it to our office:

CDA Questionnaire (doc)

The Confidential Disclosure forms listed below are provided as a reference guide only. 

Confidentiality Agreement (Data leaving University) (pdf)
Confidentiality Agreement (Data entering University) (pdf)
Confidentiality Agreement (Mutual data exchange) (pdf) 

2. Material Transfer Agreements
Material transfer agreements (MTA) are used when there is a transfer of a tangible item from the University to an outside party or from an outside party to the University; this applies to both research and industrial uses of the materials.  For example, would be the provision of a monoclonal antibody to an outside organization in support of their research.

It is critical that you contact the CVIP Office before there is any transfer of materials.
  In addition to protecting intellectual property rights with an MTA, we must also ensure that export control and other laws are not violated by the transfer.  Please contact the CVIP Office as far in advance as possible before the scheduled exchange to prepare the MTA for you.  If an outside party provides their own MTA, please send it to the CVIP Office for our review before signing. The Material Transfer Agreements listed below are provided as a reference guide only.

Material Transfer Agreement (Materials leaving University) (pdf)
Material Transfer Agreement (Materials entering University) (pdf) 

3. Invention Disclosure Forms
Researchers at the University are encouraged to fill out an invention disclosure form as early as possible when they believe they have developed potential intellectual property.  Please fill in the appropriate form below as completely as possible and submit it to the CVIP Office.
Invention Disclosure Form (doc)
Software Disclosure Form (doc) 

4. Participation Agreement
All students and employees are required to sign the University's Participation Agreement upon entering the University.  If there is someone in your lab has not signed this agreement, please have them fill out and submit the form below.
Participation Agreement (pdf) 

5. Sponsored Research Agreement (pdf)