Student Commencement Speaker
The Student Speaker Selection Committee for the Class of 2014 is searching for two creative, inspirational speeches and speakers.
A graduating student will be selected for both the morning and afternoon ceremonies to make a three minute speech representing the participating graduates. Any student who will have fulfilled degree requirements and is participating in the ceremony on Saturday, May 17, 2014 may apply. Students who completed their degree requirements in December 2013 may also apply.
Your application and presentation will be reviewed by the Speaker Selection Committee. The committee will choose three to five finalists for each ceremony and invite those students to deliver their three minute speech before the committee. Those selected must be available to present their speech at the following times:
Please plan accordingly. All speeches must be original works of the student. Speeches submitted to the committee are done so with the understanding that they may be printed on the Commencement website.
The selected student will have the opportunity to work with committee members to refine their content and practice their delivery.
Things to consider when planning your speech:
- Common experiences and future hopes for the graduating class
- Universal themes that could be experienced and appreciated by the UMass Lowell Community
- Specific reference to campus and world events that the graduating students have shared work well
- This speech will be heard by family and friends of all the graduates and should be appreciated by all
Things to avoid:
- Being too personal
- Generic speeches are not too successful; if you can replace University of Massachusetts Lowell with any institution name, the speech may not work for your audience
- A little humor is nice but a monologue from a comedy routine is too much
- Ideological speeches (i.e. political or moral views) may be divisive and not appropriate in this forum
Completed application packets must be submitted no later than March 7, 2014 by 3 p.m. to:
- Morning Commencement Ceremony Speaker applications to the Office of Student Affairs, University of Massachusetts Lowell, One University Avenue, Cumnock Hall Room 110, Lowell, MA 01854
- Afternoon Commencement Ceremony Speaker applications to Deborah White, Director of Graduate Administration, University of Massachusetts Lowell, 820 Broadway Street, Lowell, MA 01854