Strategies for Success, a one-day program presented in August, is designed to provide academic orientation for incoming first-year students. The day includes seminars presented by faculty and Centers staff. Sessions are designed to ease the transition to college level courses,and introduce academic skills that students will find beneficial during their scholastic careers.
Student who attend Strategies for Success benefit by:
- Getting to know faculty members
- Knowing what to expect in courses
- Becoming familiar with course syllabi and expectations
- Learning skills that help with note-taking, time management and reading comprehension
- Understanding how to access SiS
- Increasing awareness of academic policies and procedures
- Meeting current students who will share insights on life at UMass Lowell
Strategies for Success sessions are conducted on North Campus at UMass Lowell from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Programs are organized by colleges and majors, so that information is focused on specific areas of study.
Brochures with registration forms are mailed home to incoming students mid-July. You may also email or contact George Thompson at 978-934-2947.
Dates for the 2016 Strategies for Success Program will be announced in Spring 2016.
In order to accommodate the large number of Engineering students, two sessions are offered. Please select the date which is your first choice. Depending on the number of registrants, you may be asked to attend an alternate section.
A confirmation letter will be sent to you with check-in time, location, and parking instructions. If you have any questions, please contact program coordinator George Thompson at 978-934-2947.