About the School
As the role of nurses has evolved, so too has the the educational preparation of nurses. Today's nurses must be able to care for patients in community settings as well as in hospitals, attend to the needs of the growing number of older Americans, and work with diverse populations in a variety of health care settings.
The mission of the School of Nursing is to educate students, advance knowledge, and provide service to the University, the profession, and the community through excellence in the discovery, application, integration, and dissemination of knowledge. The School emphasizes health promotion needs of individuals, families, groups, and communities at the local, national and global level. The mission of the School of Nursing is in concert with the missions of the University of Massachusetts Lowell and the College of Health Sciences. We aim to provide an affordable education of high quality and to focus scholarship and public service on a global vision of health promotion.
The School of Nursing at UMass Lowell offers:
A Proud History
- The oldest Family Health Nursing Program in New England, preparing Family Nurse Practitioners
- First MS Degree in Gerontological Nursing in the U.S., preparing Gerontological Nurse Practitioners
A Distinguished Faculty
- Authors or contributors of more than 500 articles in virtually every national and international nursing and health-related journal and numerous texts
- More than 400 years collectively in hands-on healthcare practice
- Presenters at professional conferences in more than 30 countries on at least four continents
- Faculty honored by the American Academy of Nursing; The Gerontological Society of America; and the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
Recognition and Honors from Others
- "Doctoral Universities One" status conferred by the Carnegie Foundation
- Holder of the "Highest Classification" by the American Association of University Professors
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master’s degree in nursing at the University of Massachusetts Lowell are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
UMass Lowell Nursing Videos
A playlist of UMass Lowell Nursing videos
can be found on the UMass Lowell YouTube Channel
. You can also find some on the UMass Lowell Facebook page