The Department of Music at UMass Lowell offers a number of performances each semester. Most are free and open to the public, with free general and handicapped-accessible parking nearby. Fisher and Durgin Concert Halls are both located in Durgin Hall on UMass Lowell's South Campus. Durgin Concert Hall is on the first floor, Fisher Recital Hall is on the lower level. Occasionally it is necessary to change the date or time of a scheduled concert.
Upcoming Concerts - Fall 2013
- Thursday, December 5, Concert Band Concert, 7:30 p.m., Durgin Concert Hall. Dan Lutz conducts Othello by Alfred Reed, inspired by Shakespeare's classic tragedy along with works by Romantic masters, Richard Wagner and Carl Maria von Weber.
- Friday, December 6 and Saturday December 7, Opera Workshop, 7:30 p.m. in Fisher Recital Hall. Opera Workshop presents Stephen Sondheim's musical comedy, Company, Company, one of the first musicals to deal with adult themes and relationships. As Sondheim puts it, "Broadway theater has been for many years supported by upper-middle-class people with upper-middle-class problems. These people really want to escape that world when they go to the theatre, and then here we are with Company talking about how we're going to bring it right back in their faces." Janice Giampa directs.
- Friday, December 6, Hawkapella, 7:00 p.m., Durgin Concert Hall. The A Capella Society's all-male a capella group presents a fun-filled evening of great vocal music.
- Sunday, December 8, Contemporary Electronic Ensemble Concert, 7:30 p.m. with a "Tech Talk" beginning at 7:00 p.m. in Durgin Concert Hall.
- Monday, December 9, Jazz Lab Ensemble, 7:30 p.m., Durgin Concert Hall. Chuck Gabriel directs.
- Tuesday, December 10, Vocality Concert, 7:30 p.m., Durgin Concert Hall. The A Capella Society's all-female group presents another wonderful evening of a capella music.
- Tuesday, December 10, Brass Ensemble Concert, 7:30 p.m., Fisher Recital Hall. Hans Bohn directs.
- Wednesday, December 11, Mixed Chamber Ensemble Concert, 7:30 p.m.,
Durgin Concert Hall. Director Ramon Castillo explores non-traditional combinations to produce novel performances. Students have composed and arranged works for various small ensembles.
- Wednesday, December 11, Mixed Chamber Ensemble Concert, 7:30 p.m., Fisher Recital Hall. Director Joshua Millard's group of guitarists display their chops in rhythm and technique.
For a complete listing please view the Concert Calendar (pdf).