The Scholar-Intern Program is available to returning students and students in their freshman year. You can find more scholarship opportunities offered within the University of Massachusetts by searching the University of Massachusetts Scholarship Database.
The Francis College of Engineering at the University of Massachusetts at Lowell and companies in the region have created a unique program to encourage qualified students to pursue careers in engineering. This is a critical part of the long-term efforts by industry and academia to address the workforce needs of the economy by planting the future high-tech workforce in the region.
What is a Scholar-Intern?
Scholar-Interns are full-time, undergraduate students in the Francis College of Engineering at UMass Lowell. They are selected on the basis of academic accomplishments and other qualifications to enter into an agreement with a sponsoring company and the University. A participating student interns at the sponsoring company during winter and summer breaks (earning $5,000 per year). In addition, the student receives a merit scholarship from the company and, if a Massachusetts resident, a matching waiver towards tuition fees.
What are the benefits to the Scholar-Intern?
Participating Scholar-Interns can:
- Attend college and earn a degree at ALMOST NO COST to the student or the student's family
- Gain valuable work experience, mentored by working engineers, at a leading high-technology company
- Concentrate fully on their studies, knowing a job is waiting at semester breaks and perhaps, at graduation
Who is Eligible?
- Scholar-Interns must be full-time undergraduates in the Francis College of Engineering at UMass Lowell. The Scholar-Intern application may be submitted to the College after the student has been accepted as an incoming first-year student
- Scholar-Interns must be Massachusetts residents to receive the matching state waiver.
- Each sponsoring business has eligibility requirements, based on the field of study at UMass Lowell and the high school from which the student graduated.
Application and Selection
Interested students should apply and be accepted to the Francis College of Engineering at UMass Lowell and then complete the Application for Scholar-Internship (pdf). Students are selected on the basis of their application and an interview.