The Graduate School of Education makes admission decisions on a rolling basis. For most programs, candidates may be admitted for fall, spring or summer semesters. You can request an application or complete an online submission at the Graduate Admissions site. All required application materials must be received by Graduate Admissions before or on the dates listed below.
- April 1: For DOCTORAL candidates seeking admission for the fall semester and wishing to be considered for a Teaching Assistantship.
- April 15: For M.Ed. and Ed.S. candidates seeking admission for the summer (trimester). (Please note: Candidates cannot begin doctoral programs in the summer.)
- Aug. 1: For all candidates seeking admission for the fall semester.
- Dec. 1: For UMass Lowell Undergraduate Seniors seeking admission to the Secondary Education FAST TRACK TO TEACHING PROGRAM for spring semester admission.
- Jan. 1: For all candidates seeking admission to advanced M.Ed., Ed.S. and Ed.D. programs for the spring semester.
General Admission Requirements
Applicants must submit the following items to Graduate Admissions:
- Statement of purpose describing the candidate's interests in and qualifications for the specific program.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to the quality of the candidate's work.
- Official Transcripts.
- Applicants whose first language is not English or who did not complete their undergraduate degree at a university in an English speaking country, will be required to submit scores from a test which provides evidence of competency in English. Scores from either TOEFL iBT test or IELTS are acceptable.
- TOEFL scores should be in the HIGH or GOOD CATEGORY with a minimum overall score of 90. Minimum sub area scores for Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing, are:
- Writing: 22
- Speaking: 23
- Reading: 21
- Listening: 20
- IELTS score of 7.0
- GRE scores of 155 Verbal; 155 Quantitative; 4.5 Writing (Doctoral and M.Ed. TESOL)
- Application fee
Prior to admission, applicants may be required to attend an interview with program faculty in order to determine their oral proficiency.
Specific Admission Requirements for Programs
Become a Teacher - Initial License
Already a Teacher - Advanced Degrees and Certificates
Become a K-12 Administrator
Higher Education Administration