Biggest Loser Program
The goal of our Biggest Loser Program is not just to help people lose weight, but to encourage participants to start to develop lifelong habits that will lead to healthier and happier lives. We will educate each individual on the importance of good exercise, nutrition and leading a balanced lifestyle.
This 12-week program includes monthly weigh-ins where we record your weight, body fat percentage and also have participants complete muscular and cardiovascular endurance fitness tests.
Participants receive points for improvements in their fitness levels as well as working out at the CRC, attending group fitness or instructional classes, attending wellness workshops on exercise and nutrition topics, playing Intramural Sports, completing a diet record of what they eat, or even attending an Outdoor Adventure trip.
There are three different competitions: student, faculty/staff/CRC member, and a partner competition. Note: This program is not open to the general public!
Spring 2013 Weigh-In Dates
- Wednesday, Jan. 30: 3 - 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 27: 3 - 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 27: 3 - 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 24: 3 - 6 p.m.
all weigh-ins will be held inside the Campus Recreation Meeting Room (located across from racquetball courts). If you are unable to make the scheduled weigh-ins on the dates/times listed above, you may set up alternate times to complete your weigh-ins. You just need to contact Justin Lawler
a few days before each weigh in to set up an alternate time!
Educational Wellness Workshops
Several educational wellness workshops will be offered during the 12 week Biggest Loser Program. Workshops will focus on a wide range of fitness, nutrition and health topics. Upcoming wellness workshop dates and topics are listed below:
- Wednesday, February 13 at 5:30 p.m. – How to prevent workout plateaus (PowerPoint)
- Tuesday, February 19 at 5:30 p.m. – What am I going to do at the gym today? (PowerPoint)
- Wednesday, February 20 at 5:30 p.m. – How exercise can reduce stress (PowerPoint)
- Tuesday, March 5 at 5:30 p.m. - Healthy eating on campus followed by Technology in fitness & nutrition (PowerPoint) at 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 20 at 5:30 p.m. – How weight lifting can help you shed those extra pounds (PowerPoint)
- Friday, March 29 at 5:30 p.m. - Navigating the American diet (PowerPoint) & additonal info (pdf)
- Tuesday, April 9 at 5:30 p.m. - Eating healthy on a budget (PowerPoint)
- Wednesday, April 17 at 5:30 p.m. - Walking and running your way to better health (PowerPoint)
- Monday, April 22 at 6 p.m. - Fitting in a quick workout into your busy schedule (PowerPoint)
Note: All workshops will be held inside the Campus Recreation Center Meeting Room, across from the racquetball courts.
American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Useful Materials
Biggest Loser Monthly Newsletters
Current Point Standings
Final Point Standings for 2013 Competition (pdf)
Biggest Loser Prizes / 2013 Competitions
VISA gift cards will go to the top point finishers for our student, partner and faculty/staff/CRC member competitions. Prize amounts are listed below:
- 1st Place: $150
- 2nd Place: $100
- 3rd Place: $75
- 1st Place: $125 / partner
Faculty/Staff/CRC Member Competition
- 1st Place: $125
- 2nd Place: $75
- 3rd Place: $50
Note: All participants who finish the entire 12-week program will receive 2 free personal training sessions at the CRC!
Registration has ended for the spring 2013 program!
For more information on this program, please contact Justin Lawler at Justin_Lawler@uml.edu or 978-934-2332.