How to Join a Current Sport Club
- Locate the club that interests you: Sport clubs are strictly voluntary, formed and administered by UMass Lowell students. Check out the current club listings to see all of the active clubs. To contact a club, locate the e-mail address provided under the contact information. Please leave your name, phone number, e-mail address and any other pertinent information or questions. A club officer will contact you with information regarding membership, meetings and schedules.
- Check eligibility guidelines for club membership:
- Full membership: available for full-time undergraduate students who have paid the activity fee.
- Associate membership is for faculty, staff and full-time graduate students. Associate members may participate in club activities but may not hold office and do not have voting rights.
- Groups not eligible: Alumni, Spouses and Middlesex Community College students are ineligible.
- Complete all applicable club forms
How to Start a New Sport Club
- Gather interest: You need at least 10 undergraduate students who are interested and willing to join before you can attempt to start a new club. Many students will garner interest for their club by promoting a general interest meeting on campus at the beginning of the semester.
- Contact Club Sport Office: Contact Liz Carr in the Club Sport Office at Club_Sports@uml.edu / 978-934-2308 to set up an initial meeting.
- Create club constitution
: You need to put together a club proposal which includes a club constitution, by-laws, determination of club requirements, list of club officers and members with appropriate paperwork, and a potential selection of advisor and/or coach. The Club Sports Office can provide you with specific forms that will assist you in this process.
- Club approval process: Based on interest, need and the clubs proposal, Campus Recreation will determine if the club can be approved. A club's purpose and activity must be consistent with the definition and purpose of the Sport Club Program and meet its criteria and be approved. Criteria can include sufficient interest in the club from undergraduate students; are suitable facilities available for practice, competition, and recreation; are funds available to meet financial needs of club; or is there already a program or club offered elsewhere on campus that meets the same student needs/interests that the club hopes to meet.
- If sport club is approved: Once a club is approved they will be considered a probationary club for the first year. During this year the club must supply its own budget. After the first year the club is expected to supply 25% of their budget and Campus Recreation will supplement the remaining 75%. Budgets are determined for each club through an annual budget approval process at Campus Recreation. Clubs can raise additional funds through community service projects and various types of approved fundraising. Note: There must be at least 10 undergraduate students active and participating in each club at all times to remain an active club. Clubs must also abide by all Club Sport policies found in the Club Sports Manual, or risk being placed on probation or potential loss of recognition as a club sport at UMass Lowell.
Club Sport Office & Contact Information:
Liz Carr - Club Sport Graduate Assistant
Club Sports Office: Campus Recreation Center Room #102
Liz's Spring 2013 Office Hours:
Monday: 3:15 - 7:15 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Thursday: 3:45 - 7:45 p.m.
Friday: 6:30 - 9:30 a.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.