Free Wheelers - The Shortest Distance Between Two Classes!
What is Free Wheelers?
The UMass Lowell Free Wheelers Bike Share program provides free bicycles for students, faculty and staff. Bicycle check out is quick and easy and you only need to register once. After you register, simply check out and return a bike at any of the 4 check-out stations on campus (pdf). Bicycles are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
HOURS & AVAILABILITY
Fall Semester: Sept. 4 - December
Spring Semester: March - May
Summer: Campus Recreation Center Only
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Bikes must be returned by 7 p.m. each day
No weekend availability
at South, North, or Tsongas check-out stations
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. and Sunday Noon - 10 p.m.
Rentals from the Campus Recreation Center only
Campus Recreation location only!
Monday - Friday 6:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Multi-day and weekend rentals will be available starting at the end of May. Check back for more information.
Check Out Locations & Maps
- East Campus: Campus Recreation Center
- South Campus: O'Leary Library & Riverview Fitness Center
- North Campus: Southwick Dining Hall Room 100B -
- Tsongas Center: Booth in front of Tsongas.
Bike Stations can be found on the Campus Map. You can also view information for check-out stations and suggested routes between campuses by clicking the links below.
Only Current University Faculty, Staff, and Students may register for Free Wheelers. To Register:
- Complete a waiver & a quiz
- Have your U card authenticated
- Review safety information
Registration is active for 1 academic year.
Register in one of two ways:
- Visit any checkout station and follow their instructions
- Download the Waiver below, complete both pages, and return it to any station.
How to Check-out and Return a Bicycle
Once you are registered, you can go to any Bike check-out stations and request a bike. The staff will give you a key and then you head to the racks. Racks are typically blue and marked with UMass Lowell Free Wheelers decals just like the decals on the bicycles. Simply match your key number with the appropriate bike number and you can unlock your bike. Be sure to lock your bike securely before returning the keys to any of the checkout stations by 7:00 p.m. Weekdays.
Review this handout for more information on the Anatomy of a Free Wheeler (pdf).
Policies & Guidelines
Late Fees: A $20 per day late fee will be charged to all those failing to return a bike to a designated checkout station by the end of program hours the day it is borrowed.
Property: By borrowing a bike you agree to be held financially responsible if the bike is damaged or stolen. Any person borrowing a bike not returned in the condition that it was issued will be charged an appropriate repair fee. Anyone not returning a bike will be charged an $800 replacement fee. A hold will be placed on the borrowers university account and he/she will also not be allowed to register for classes without paying the replacement fee.
Lock and Key: The key must be returned to a check-in station when the bike is returned. If a U Lock key is lost the user will be charged a $45 replacement fee. If a frame lock key is lost, the user will be charged a $100 replacement fee.
Locking and Unlocking the Bike
*Keep in mind, these bikes have two keys and locks:
- One key goes to the Orange U-lock that secures the bike frame to the bike rack. Turn the key a full turn before sliding the U bar out of the frame.
- The second key goes to the frame lock around the rear bike tire. Insert the key, turn, and slide the bar up. This key stays in the bike while you ride it and only comes out when you lock it again.
When you arrive at your destination, simply lock your bicycle to the designated UMass Lowell Free Wheelers bike rack and bring your key into the check-out station
. To report a mechanical issue, please call us at 978-934-1932.
Free Wheelers Events
Free Wheelers supports Bike To School Days this Spring:
North Campus: April 30, 2014 7:30 a.m. - Noon
If you register on the Office of Sustainability website, you can take a Free Wheeler home to participate in this event!
Those new to biking are encouraged to join our Instructional Workshops: Learn to Ride or Biking 102.
Winter Bike Rentals
With the Free Wheelers Bike Share closed for the season, we are offering students a winter bike share option. Students may rent a used bike from the Bike Shop for 1 month at a time, or for the duration of our winter season (December - March 24, 2014). Students utilizing this option must return their bikes by March 24, 2014. Free Wheelers will re-open at this time.
There are a limited number of bikes available, so check with the Bike Shop for updated availability.
Bikes may be rented at any time, but all must be returned by March 24, 2014
Location: Bikes may only be rented from the Bike Shop over the Winter Break
- Month-to-Month (December, January, February, or March)
- Monthly Rentals cost $10 per month
- Seasonal Rentals (All winter months until March 24, 2014)
- Seasonal Rentals cost $20
How to Check Out a Bike
- Come to the Bike Shop, bring your Student ID.
- Complete a winter bike share registration form
- Pay the rental fee
- Walk away with your bike and lock.
Policies & Guidelines
- A bike returned late will be assessed $10 late fee per day.
- By borrowing a bike, the borrower agrees to be held financially responsible if the bike is damaged or stolen. Anyone not returning a bike will be charged a replacement fee. This fee will vary based on the price of the bike ($75-$200). If this fee is not paid, a hold will be placed on the borrower's University account and he or she will also not be allowed to register for classes until the replacement fee is paid
- Any person borrowing a bike not returned in the condition that it was issued will be charged an appropriate repair fee.
- Unlike Free Wheelers, the person who borrows the bike is responsible for maintaining the bike while they are in possession of it. This means, if a bike gets a flat tire, the borrower is responsible for replacing the punctured tube. The Bike Shop is an available resource for the borrower to utilize for repairs/maintenance.