Apply to UMass Lowell
You can apply to UMass Lowell online or by downloading and mailing in a PDF of the UMass Lowell Application.
After February 1, freshman applicants should apply using the UMass Lowell Application.
Download an Application
Freshman Application Deadlines
- Early Action: November 1
- Early Action Materials Deadline: November 10
- Regular Decision: February 1*
- Regular Decision Materials Deadline: February 10
Spring Semester: December 1
*This is the deadline for the Common Application. The UMass Lowell web application is available through June 1.
Transfer Application Deadlines
Fall semester: August 15*
Spring semester: January 21*
* This deadline is a priority deadline. We will consider completed applications after this date.
International Student Application Deadlines
International applicants are advised to start the application process no fewer than 12 months in advance of the expected date of enrollment.
Completed Application Package
A completed application for Undergraduate Admission includes the items listed below. All necessary forms related to the common application are available for download there.
- A completed Common Application or UMass Lowell Application.
- Your application fee or fee waiver.
- Your score from the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the American College Test (ACT). The CEEB (College Entrance Examination Board) code number for UMass Lowell is 3911. (UMass Lowell is reviewing only the math and critical reading sections of the SAT).
- Your high-school transcript. Be sure the transcript includes your first marking period grades. Applicants should ask their guidance counselors to forward the transcript to UMass Lowell.
- A personal essay responding to a question on the Common Application (pdf) or one of the questions below (250-500 words):
- What do you do in your spare time?
- What is the greatest challenge your generation will face? What ideas do you have for dealing with this issue?
- Formulate the perfect admissions essay question and answer it.
- If mailing or e-mailing your essay to our office, please remember to write your full name on each page.
- One letter of recommendation from someone who is familiar with your abilities and experience (a teacher, guidance counselor, coach, employer, etc.). Download the recommendation form (pdf).
- A TOEFL/ELPT test score, if English is not your first language or if your method of instruction is not in English.