On Commencement Day
NOTE: Balloons are NOT allowed inside the Tsongas Center.
Commencement Day Schedule (Morning Ceremony)
The Morning Graduation Ceremony for undergraduate students in the College of Engineering, College of Fine Arts Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Sciences and the Manning School of Business, will be held on Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 9 a.m. at the Tsongas Center at UMass Lowell, 300 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Lowell.
- 8 a.m
. Doors to the Tsongas Center will be open to ticket holders
- 8:30 a.m. All graduating students will assemble by college under a tent, located on the right side of the Tsongas Center in Lot B.
- 9 a.m. Student processional begins from tent into Tsongas Center.
Following the University ceremony, college faculties, graduating students and guests may proceed to college receptions in a tent adjacent to the Tsongas Center. Look for signs for your college/department.
Commencement Day Schedule (Afternoon Ceremony)
The Afternoon Graduation Ceremony for undergraduate students in the College of Health Sciences and all Master's and Doctoral students in all colleges, will be held on Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 2:30 p.m. at the Tsongas Center at UMass Lowell, 300 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Lowell.
- 2 p.m. Doors to the Tsongas Center will be open to ticket holders
- 2 p.m. All graduating students will assemble by college under a tent, located on the right side of the Tsongas Center in Lot B. Note: Doctoral students should line up inside the East Entrance, not in the student line-up tent.
- 2:30 p.m. Student processional begins from tent into Tsongas Center.
Following the University ceremony, college faculties, graduating students and guests may proceed to college receptions tents adjacent to the Tsongas Center. Look for signs for your college.
The University Commencement Ceremony will consist of the following:
- Greetings from special guests
- Awarding of honorary degrees
- A Commencement address
- Conferral of degrees
- College receptions
Directions and Parking
The Tsongas Center at UMass Lowell, located at 300 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Lowell, MA 01852 978-848-6900
Get individualized directions from the University's interactive maps and directions website. Check out Commencement Day Parking map.
From I-495 and Route 3
- From the Boston Area take Route 3 North
- From NH take Route 3 South
- Traveling on I-495, follow signs for the Lowell Connector - Exit 35C
- Traveling on Route 3, Exit on to 495 toward the Lowell Connector (follow signs for the Connector). Once you are on 495, you will take Exit 35C (Lowell Connector).
Exit off the Lowell Connector at Exit 5B - Thorndike Street.
This will take you directly on Thorndike St. where you will merge with traffic; continue to stay in the right lane. This road will bring you directly in front of the Tsongas Center after approximately eight (8) traffic lights.
From Boston on I-93, take Exit 44B off of I-93 - this will bring you onto I-495 South. Follow above directions.
From New Hampshire on I-93, take Exit 46 off of I-93. Follow Route 110 West to Lowell for approximately 7 miles until you get to the intersection of Route 38 and Bridge Street (you will see a Dunkin Donuts on your right).
- At lights, take a left over the Cox Bridge.
- After you go over bridge, stay to the right and at the first set of lights take a right onto French Street.
- Go through 2 sets of lights - at the 3rd light you will see the arena set back on the right behind the post office.
Check out our parking map. Parking on all streets adjacent to the Tsongas Center is governed by resident parking regulations of the City of Lowell. We urge students and guests to park in University and municipal parking lots.
Please DO NOT park in the Post Office parking lot.
Parking in University parking lots on East Campus will be free on Commencement Day.
There will be a charge to park in the Ayotte Garage (adjacent to the Tsongas Center) or John Street Garage (corner of John and French streets) of $10, and a $15 charge for parking in the city lot across from the Tsongas Center. Payment must be made in cash upon entering.
We expect the traffic from the morning ceremony to begin to ease around 1:30 or so. We recommend that graduates and guests for the Graduate Student ceremony arrive at 2 p.m. to avoid congestion when parking. Graduates students must be present to line up for the procession no later than 2:30 p.m.
Shuttles will be running to and from the Tsongas Center to East Campus. Shuttles will also be running from the John Street parking garage and from the UMass Lowell Inn and Conference Center for those who parked in the Lower Locks parking garage. Shuttles will not be running to or from parking lots on South Campus and North Campus. Access to the front entrance of the Tsongas following the ceremony will be restricted, so we recommend you park in one of the satellite lots and take the shuttle. The shuttle stop will be directly across from the Tsongas entrance.
Please be aware that traffic in the downtown area will be heavy both before and after the events, so please plan accordingly.
Graduates and Guests With Special Needs
Graduates and guests with disabilities, or those who may require special accommodations, are requested to contact Jody Goldstein at 978-934-2809 to ensure that special needs will be addressed. Note: The University cannot provide wheelchairs. If needed, they can usually be rented from a pharmacy or medical supply store.
- Parking for those with a HP plate or placard is available in the City operated parking lots (Lot A and the Ayotte Garage, both adjacent to the Tsongas Center)
- There is a handicap drop-off immediately to the left of the main stairs, leading to a ramp up to the main entrance. Once inside, the east elevator is located to the right of the lobby.
- Seating for visitors with mobility impairments (and an escort) will be on the concourse level.
- Restrooms are available on the concourse level
- The ceremony will be captioned on video screens within the Tsongas Center.
A professional photographer (Commencement Photo, 1348 Main St., Tewksbury, MA 01876) will be taking photos of graduates as they cross the stage. Please note, guests will not be allowed onto the floor of the Tsongas Center to take personal photos.
Subsequent to Commencement, Commencement Photo will have proofs available on line at their website (www.commencementphotos.com). All students will be mailed a special ID number so they could log in to the website. If they've lost it or don't remember getting it, they can call CI's customer service line anytime at 978-851-5924.
See Yearbook Page for information on yearbook photos.
As students process across the stage, they will be given a diploma cover. With the exception of doctoral candidates who will receive their actual diplomas as they cross the stage in the afternoon ceremony, all other diplomas will be mailed to students by the Registrar's Office in the weeks after the graduation ceremony.
Conferral of a degree occurs when the Registrar finalizes the student's academic record and confirms that all requirements have been satisfied. Participation in Commencement ceremonies does not constitute conferral of the degree. Similarly, inclusion of a student's name in such publications as the Commencement program does not confirm eligibility for the degree.
In order to ensure correct information on their diplomas all students must check their primary name through the iSiS self-service account by April 18. See the step-by-step instructions (pdf).If you wish to change the way your name will appear on your diploma, please click "add a name" and select the name type as "degree" and enter the correct information.
After the Ceremony
Following the Commencement ceremony, college faculties, graduating students and guests may proceed to college receptions tents adjacent to the Tsongas Center. Look for signs for your college. Light refreshments will be served.
Students will be able to collect their diplomas from the college reception tents adjacent to the Tsongas Center after the ceremony if they submitted their Declaration of Intent to Graduate (DIG) form or Graduate Clearance Form prior to the deadline.